Student Position: Communications Assistant (15-20 hrs/week)
Institute for Sustainable Solutions, Portland State University
The PSU Institute for Sustainable Solutions seeks an hourly undergraduate student employee to assist with communications activities 15-20 hours per week during the 2019-20 academic year. The application deadline for this position is 3 p.m. on November 8th, 2019.
The Institute for Sustainable Solutions (ISS) matches the passion and expertise of Portland State University faculty and students with the experience and needs of community groups, government agencies, and businesses to develop practical solutions for more equitable, livable, sustainable cities and regions. ISS works closely with PSU’s Campus Sustainability Office, Student Sustainability Center, faculty, students, and community partners to advance sustainability efforts on campus and beyond. These efforts are branded under the “Sustainability at PSU” banner in order to reach a wide audience and interact with a diversity of programs, initiatives, and stakeholders.
The Institute seeks a student with interest and experience in writing, editing, digital media, outreach, and communications to support ISS and Sustainability at PSU programs and initiatives, and, ultimately, help tell our story.
• Manage monthly newsletter, including coordinating newsletter contributors, inserting content into the newsletter template, managing contacts.
• Assist with website content management and updates, including events calendar and Current Opportunities page.
• Write and edit news stories and blogs about PSU sustainability activities and people.
• Help maintain the Sustainability at PSU social media presence, including Facebook, and Instagram.
• Staff information tables at orientations and events.
• Organize Sustainability at PSU photos and communications resources, including Flickr account and I-drive files.
• Assist with upcoming pdx.edu website transition for Sustainability pages.
• Other duties as assigned, such as photography, attending and coordinating events, facilitating interviews and meetings, and maintaining databases and lists.
This position will be jointly supervised by both ISS and Campus Sustainability Office staff.
Applicants must be currently enrolled as an undergraduate student at PSU.
• Excellent writing, editing, and research skills
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
• Competency with Microsoft Office and Google Drive
• Willingness to work collaboratively and respond positively to other people’s ideas
• Strong work ethic and ability to meet deadlines
• An interest in sustainability topics and issues
• Experience with website content management systems, such as Drupal
• Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator, and knowledge of graphic design principles
• Experience with HTML email marketing software such as Emma or Vertical Response
• Experience with photography, video, creative marketing strategy, journalistic writing
Pay rate: $13.50/hr
Application deadline: November 8, 2019 at 3 p.m.
The Institute for Sustainable Solutions at Portland State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and welcomes applications from diverse candidates and candidates who support diversity. Qualified candidates from underrepresented backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply: submit a cover letter explaining your interest in and fit for the position and a resume on PSU Handshake.