Portland State University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity institution and welcomes applications from diverse candidates and candidates who support diversity.
Social Media & Publicity Coordinator
PSU 5th Avenue Cinema
For priority, Apply 4/1/2016
Job status: 15-20 hours/week
Weeks: 40 weeks/year
Start Date: 4/15/2016
Compensation: $9.45 per hour
5th Avenue Cinema is a student-operated service within Portland State University’s Student Activities and Leadership Programs. The cinema screens an eclectic selection of foreign, cult, classic, and contemporary independent and mainstream films. Our goals are to provide further education for PSU students interested in film as well as a fun place for people to see something they wouldn’t ordinarily get to see on the big screen.
The Publicity Coordinator fulfills publicity and marketing duties as assigned by the Cinema Coordinator. In collaboration with the projectionists and cinema coordinator, the candidate participates in the Film Committee decision-making process regarding film selection and betterment of the Film Committee and 5th Avenue Cinema. The candidate must also be interested in and available to work a weekly box office shift during showings and attend weekly staff meetings, with the possibility of being trained in the skills necessary to operate our 35mm projection equipment. Otherwise, the position allows for schedule flexibility and independent work to fulfill publicity duties. As a staff member of the cinema, the Publicity Coordinator is also responsible for maintaining a positive public image of the cinema, the PSU Film Committee, and the Portland State University, as well as attending Community of Practice meetings with the Coordinator of Student Operated Services.
Promotion & Communications: Website, Social Media & Other – 80%
The coordinator is responsible for promoting films and cinema activities to the campus and community. On a weekly to quarterly basis, this may require any combination of the following (or more): distributing printed materials and flyers on campus and around the community (local cinemas, art spaces, etc.), consistently updating our website and maintaining social networking channels, updating and maintaining the cinema’s website and physical advertising spaces (poster cases at 5th Ave and Smith), creating weekly online newsletters, writing weekly press releases for local news publications (Mercury, Willamette Weekly, etc.), and collaborating across the university to promote the cinema and its films, particularly in terms of coordinating printing schedules and design choices with the Graphic Design Center who will be in charge of 5th Avenue’s design work. Additionally, the publicity coordinator will work with the Cinema Coordinator to book, and follow up with potential customers looking to promote rentals.
On-site work- Customer service, cash handling and programming – 20%
As part of the Film Committee, the Publicity Coordinator fulfills a weekly weekend box office shift at the cinema during the film screenings and will be in charge of accurately and responsibly handling cash (counting the till in and out, using a register, reporting discrepancies, etc.) Additionally, the candidate collaborates with the staff team in an inclusive decision-making process to establish quarterly and yearly programming and attendance goals.
• Cumulative PSU GPA 2.50 or higher for undergraduate students or 3.0 cumulative PSU GPA for graduate students
• Earn a 2.5 undergraduate GPA or 3.0 graduate GPA for each term enrolled
• Enrollment in and successful completion of a minimum of 6 undergraduate credits or 5 graduate credits per term (except summer)
The successful candidate’s application will demonstrate:
• Conceptual understanding of social media marketing and online community engagement, as well as some literal experience with using Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for promotions.
• Ability to foster community connections within the university and other Student Operated Services
• Ability to work independently to accomplish projects and tasks
• Excellent communication skills and a serious commitment to maintaining an inclusive decision-making process
• Some Copywriting and editing experience, will be in charge of reviewing staff blurbs for press material
Bonus Skills & Interests (not required)
• Experience with delivering superior customer service and cash handling
• Website administration experience, particularly using Squarespace
• Experience with inclusive decision-making processes
• Expected graduation date of Spring 2017 or beyond (preferred).
Please submit an application, cover letter, resume and film statement online via OrgSync: https://orgsync.com/13101/forms/97957. For questions, please contact Mitchell Glidden, Cinema Coordinator at email@example.com. Priority review will be given to applications submitted by 4/1/2016.