Back Fence PDX is a nationally-recognized award-winning storytelling series which has been featuring live, personal theme-based stories for packed audiences on Portland stages since 2008. We sell out our electrifying live shows every year, including our signature show Back Fence PDX: RUSSIAN ROULETTE and other Back Fence PDX produced partnerships with arts and non-profit organizations. Our stories are sometimes bust-a-gut funny, sometimes need-a-tissue sad, sometimes sexy, sometimes challenging, sometimes scary, but always poignant, powerful, and exciting to listen to. We work hard to continue to highlight amazing people and their stories while expanding our ability to share them with new — and old — audiences.
As a Social Media Intern, you’ll work and help to design our upcoming campaigns. Collaborating with a variety of our production staff and volunteers, while working on real projects that will help us grow our audience. Our ideal candidate is someone who is passionate about social media, is driven and self-motivated, and is creative and thoughtful when interacting in our voice with online communities and building relationships. Someone who knows how to create buzz and expand post reach to new audiences. Someone who can interact with our amazing sponsors (betsy + iya, New Deal Distillery, Hotel deLuxe, Make & Merry, Popina, Portland Center Stage, Skin by Marywynn , XRAY.fm/Portland Mercury, and more) highlighting them as arts supporters and also sharing their news on our channels. And, of course, someone who understands and appreciates live performance—and great storytelling!
What you will learn:
1. Relationship building with our online community by maintaining Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media accounts
2. How to track and analyze social media analytics, report results, and adjust social media plan accordingly
3. How to create compelling content that will be shared by influencers
4. Creative feedback and viral loops between our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and blog
5. Assist in building and presenting social media strategy
6. Plenty of additional opportunities in related projects
1. Finding inspiration for posts/Competitive research and analysis, including interesting stories in the news/on the net/in our community that we can re-post to our followers
2. Developing new ideas and strategies for creative content about Back Fence PDX, our sponors and partners, and other entities determined by show Producers
3. Scheduling and publishing posts across all channels
4. Copywriting for posts
5. Responding to comments on all channels
6. Editing on images to be posted
7. Working to implement best practices for content creation across all channels
8. Catching all grammatical, spelling, and formatting errors before any post goes live or is delivered for approval
This position will also be required to be present at all Back Fence PDX performances, in order to create real-time social media content during the shows (Instagram, live Tweeting, etc.).
What we require:
● A background in Marketing, Communication, or other related discipline
● Creative self-starter who is comfortable with both taking initiative and working in collaboration
● Detail oriented with strong written and verbal communication skills
● Experience with Microsoft applications, basic photo-editing software, and internet browsers
● Familiarity and facility with mainstream social media platforms, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
● Organized, with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive tasks
● A background in performance arts is preferred but not required
● Available to work 5 hours per week and be present at all Back Fence PDX shows (every other month on a Thursday or Saturday night)
This is a part-time internship with a monthly stipend. We value our interns and will work hard to make sure you receive a learning experience that fits your career goals. You will become extremely knowledgeable in online communication; a master of Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and understanding the right tactics to combine online marketing with overarching outreach goals in a professional, performance arts setting. You will also learn how to work in a professional environment and have lots of opportunities to network with a diverse set of professionals and artists. This internship will benefit someone who is interested in marketing, communications, performance arts, community relations, and audience development.
This position begins October 2019 and has the option to continue through Spring of 2020.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.