Back Fence PDX is a nationally-recognized storytelling series that has been featuring live, personal
theme-based stories for packed audiences on Portland stages since 2008. We average 12 electrifying live
shows a year, including our regular Mainstage and Russian Roulette shows, as well as partnerships with
other arts and non-profit organizations. Our stories are sometimes bust-a-gut funny, sometimes need-a-tissue
sad, sometimes sexy, sometimes challenging, but always poignant, powerful, and exciting to listen
Our stories also go out nationally and internationally on multiple podcast platforms (including Rooftop
Comedy, Spotify, and Pandora), and we are currently working with XRAY.fm to put out a radio version of
our live stories. We work hard to continue to highlight amazing people and their stories while expanding
our ability to share them with new — and repeat — audiences.
As a Production Intern, you will work directly with our Associate Producer, Executive Producer, other
staff and volunteers, while becoming knowledgeable in the production elements of a live performance.
You will also gain experience working in a professional environment and have lots of opportunities to
network with a diverse set of professionals and artists.
What you will gain:
1. Increased knowledge of the nuts-and-bolts of performance production, including ticketing,
communicating with audiences, marketing, sponsorships, social/digital media, and more
2. Increased understanding of production operations day of show and during a live storytelling
3. Professional working skills and connections
1. Being present and able to help at all shows to help ensure smooth completion of all event set up,
run, and tear down
2. Maintaining accuracy, consistency, and currency of information between our show, ticketing
website, and social media.
3. Creating and updating documents for production use, including guest lists, press releases, and
4. Assist in collection of goods needed for shows in days prior to each event
5. Communication with sponsors, partners, audiences, etc. where you will need to be a positive
representative of Back Fence PDX
6. Other duties as assigned
What we require:
● Self-starter who is comfortable with both taking initiative and working in collaboration
● Detail oriented with strong written and verbal communication skills
● Experience and skill with Google applications and Microsoft applications
● Organized, with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive tasks
● You have your own personal, reliable car or access to one on the day of show.
● A background in performance/creative arts is strongly preferred
● Experience with WordPress, email marketing, and social media is preferred but not required
● Available to be present at all Back Fence PDX shows (about once per month on a Friday or
● Available to work remotely ~5-10 hours per week (hours vary, with more during the week before a
This is a part-time, unpaid internship. We value our interns and will work hard to make sure you receive a
learning experience that fits your career goals and/or school credit. This internship will benefit someone
who is interested in creative arts production, arts management, digital/social media marketing,
communications, brand development, and/or audience development. Past interns have gone on to work at
OPB, XRAY, and/or start their own radio show/performance projects.
This position begins immediately with the hope of continuing on through December 2016.
Please send resume and cover letter to liz [at] backfencepdx [dot] com