My name is Erin and I’ve been the Marketing and Communications Manager for the College of Urban and Public Affairs (CUPA) for about two years. I really enjoy my job, but I have a few ongoing tasks that take up a lot of my time and attention. I would love to delegate these tasks—along with the standard “other duties as assigned”—to a fun, upbeat, creative PSU student. The ideal person for this position will have strong graphic design skills and be very familiar with social media outlets. This student will disseminate CUPA news and event information with our internal and external audiences using the following methods:
1. Flyers and brochures
Most departments at CUPA generate their own event flyers, but our office is called upon to provide this kind of support. The student in this position can use either InDesign or Canva to create these flyers.
2. Urban Center monitors
The Urban Center has two large monitors that display announcements and upcoming events. We use digital signage software to display events, social media feeds, weather, etc.
3. Student and staff & faculty newsletters
CUPA sends out two e-newsletters every Monday: The Wayfinder for CUPA students and This Week at CUPA for faculty & staff. This student would be responsible for collecting news and event info over the course of the week, then preparing the newsletters on Friday and scheduling them to send the following Monday.
4. Portland State website
We post all public events and news items to the Portland State website using the Drupal content management system.
I work in a light-filled office on the 7th floor of the Urban Center. The student in this position will share my office, keep my air plants alive, and indulge my “eclectic” music taste. When we feel stressed, we will listen to the Rocky soundtrack and do office yoga. We will have a lot of fun and I will reward your good work with good coffee, constant praise, and motivational baked goods.
The obligatory bulleted list of desired skills:
- advanced skills in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
– strong design and print production skills
– experience using Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
– experience posting and editing content in various content management systems
– familiarity with e-newsletter software like Constant Contact, MailChimp, and/or Emma
– upbeat attitude, good sense of humor, adaptability
– an interest in marketing, design, and social media trends
– strong organizational skills
– ability to think and work independently
– severe allergy to both Comic Sans and Papyrus fonts
The position is approximately 10 hours/week (with some flexibility) and it pays $11/hr.
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell me a little about yourself and why you’re interested in this position. Please include 3 design samples.