My name is Erin and I’ve been the Marketing and Communications Manager for the College of Urban and Public Affairs (CUPA) for about six months now. I really enjoy my job, but I have a few ongoing tasks that take up a lot of my time and attention. I would love to delegate these tasks—along with the standard “other duties as assigned”—to a fun, upbeat, creative PSU student. The individual in this position will share CUPA news and event information with our internal and external audiences using the following methods:
1. CUPA monitors: The Urban Center has two monitors that display announcements and upcoming events. We just transitioned from a slideshow format to digital signage software that allows us to display social media feeds, videos, weather, a scrolling list of events, etc.
2. “This Week at CUPA” e-newsletter: “This Week at CUPA” is a weekly email created in Emma and sent to all CUPA faculty and staff every Monday morning.
3. Portland State website: We post all public events and news items to the Portland State website using the Drupal content management system.
4. Flyers: Most departments at CUPA generate their own event flyers, but our office is called upon occasionally to provide this kind of support.
I will collect all news and event information and store it in a place where the student worker can easily access and share it with our stakeholders. I work M-F from 8am-5pm, so it would be great to have a student who can work consistently within those hours. “This Week at CUPA” is sent every Monday morning, so the ideal candidate will be available for at least a couple hours on either Friday or Monday morning. CUPA will provide a Mac Mini and monitor, along with a subscription to the Adobe Creative Suite.
I work in a tidy, light-filled office on the 7th floor of the Urban Center. The student in this position will share my office, keep my air plants alive and indulge my “eclectic” music taste. When we feel stressed, we will listen to the Rocky soundtrack and do office yoga. We will have a lot of fun and I will reward your good work with good coffee, constant praise and motivational stickers.
The obligatory bulleted list of desired skills:
- advanced skills in Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
– strong design and print production skills
– familiarity with various social media outlets
– extensive experience posting and editing content in various content management systems
– familiarity with e-newsletter software like Constant Contact, MailChimp and/or Emma
– strong writing and proofreading skills
– upbeat attitude, good sense of humor, adaptable
– an interest in marketing, design, and social media trends
– strong organizational skills
– severe allergy to both Comic Sans and Papyrus fonts
Email me and tell me a little about yourself and why you’re interested in this position. Please include your résumé, two writing samples, two design samples, and a detailed description of your most embarrassing moment.