The Dean’s Office in PSU’s College of Urban and Public Affairs (CUPA) is seeking a Marketing and Communications Assistant to work alongside the Marketing and Communications Manager. CUPA offers undergraduate and graduate programs in Criminology and Criminal Justice, Economics, International and Global Studies, Political Science, Public Administration and Urban Studies and Planning. We also house 16 centers and institutes that conduct applied research and provide their expertise to community partners.
CUPA is a really busy place, and we need someone to keep track of all the good work our community members are doing! The student in this role will collect and curate information about CUPA-wide news, events, awards, publications and other achievements involving our faculty, staff and students. They will then share the information on the PSU website, in CUPA’s newsletters and on CUPA’s social media channels. This student will also format and send CUPA’s two weekly newsletters, The Wayfinder and This Week at CUPA.
This job can be done either intermittently throughout the week or in blocks of time, and much of the work can be done remotely (with weekly in-person check-ins). Ideally, the person in this position will finish the newsletters on Friday and schedule them to be sent on Sunday night. The position is approximately 10 hours/week.
What you’ll actually do:
– Collect CUPA-related news and events using Google Alerts and submissions from faculty and staff.
– Vet submissions from faculty, staff and other departments across campus to confirm they meet CUPA’s criteria.
– Maintain CUPA’s college-wide calendar, news page and faculty publications, presentations and awards on the PSU website.
– Format and send CUPA’s two weekly newsletters.
– Generate updated student, faculty and staff email lists each term to ensure we have the most updated information.
– Keep up with digital communication trends so CUPA’s communiqués continue to evolve and meet the needs of our students.
– Brainstorm creative ways use our digital communications to increase engagement with the CUPA community.
– Assist the Marketing and Communications Manager with generating fun lifestyle content for use in the newsletters and on social media.
Ideal candidate profile:
– You’re savvy at both consuming and posting on social media.
– You’re a bit of a news junkie, and you’re interested in social issues.
– You’re familiar with email marketing software like MailChimp, Constant Contact and/or Emma.
– You’re thorough and have excellent attention to detail.
– Your phone is never out of arm’s reach. (It’s OK to admit it.)
– You’re a good writer and proofreader, and your friends constantly exploit your skills.
– If you don’t know how to do something, you’ll Google it or watch a YouTube tutorial.
– You’re web-savvy and have worked in a content management system like WordPress or Drupal.
– You possess the elusive combination of being highly creative and incredibly organized.
– You appreciate that we used “you’re” and “your” properly in this list.
This may seem like a lot to ask of one person, but we promise you will be handily rewarded with homemade pie (our dean bakes!), your very own desk, free coffee and oodles of motivational cat memes.
Please apply on Handshake: https://portlandstate.joinhandshake.com/jobs/2712704 and include 1) a quick description of why you’re a good fit for the job and 2) your weekly availability.