10-20 Hours/Week • $14.57/Hour
1-2 Position Available – Start Date: October 2021
Employment contingent on passing sophomore portfolio review
Create graphic design assets for Campus Rec, the playful beating heart of Portland State University, where quality recreation and wellness programs inspire, empower and educate. We are nationally recognized for inclusive and innovative programs and facilities that are available to Portland State students, faculty, staff, alumni and community affiliates.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Must be proficient with current design software (Adobe Creative Suite, specifically
Adobe Creative Cloud, Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign)
• Understand basic design concepts: layout, type, color, balance, form, value, shape, and line
• Assist the Marketing & Communications Coordinator in completing promotional materials, collateral, and signage
• Develop and design print and web materials for various events and programs
• Have the ability to research and make appropriate design decisions
• Utilize typography, layout and illustration skills to create original design materials
• Use photographs thoughtfully and appropriately in design concepts
• Practice proper file management/formatting and maintain a high standard for organization
• Properly format files for output to print vendors
• Contribute and assist in overall marketing efforts
• Attend Marketing Team meetings
• Communicate regular progress updates to supervisor via email and project management software
• Maintain email account with a 24-hour response to staff inquiries
• Attend all-staff meetings and trainings when necessary
This position is an important branch of the Marketing Team and requires someone with cutting-edge initiatives. For example, we are constantly moving forward with the concept of using less paper, utilizing more interactive forms of communication, and changing traditional forms of media into more efficient structures.
• Maintain any valid certifications that is required of your position.
• Work efficiently and finish projects under assigned time constraints and deadlines
• Conceptualize design campaigns
• Keep open channels of communication with supervisor, coworkers, and staff
• Demonstrate an invested interest in expanding all forms of design
• Hold and adhere to regularly scheduled office hours
• Work with a largely diverse group and multiple program areas
• Demonstrate the ability to be adaptable, flexible and willing to receive feedback
• Knowledge of proper color use, printing practices, and layout
Typical Working Hours:
• The Graphic Designers work from the Campus Rec administrative office, which is typically open from 8AM – 5PM Monday through Friday. Office hours will be
constructed by term, with the input and preference of all members of the Marketing Team and department needs. Office hours will be decided at the end of
each term for the following term. Work may be completed remotely from outside the office as long as scheduled in-office hours are met.
• Office environment
• Flexible options for some remote work to be completed outside the office
• Successful completion of sophomore portfolio review in PSU’s Graphic Design program. Please submit proof of successful completion of sophomore portfolio review with your application materials.
• Proficiency with current design software (Adobe Creative Cloud)
• Proficiency with typography and layout
• Maintain minimum enrollment (6 credits for undergraduates, 5 credits for
graduates) for three out of four terms in the year
• Minimum 2.0 grade point average (undergrad) and 3.0 (graduate) and maintain
good academic standing throughout employment
• Commitment to Campus Rec’s mission, vision, values, and dignity statements
• Positive attitude
• Ability to respond to emergency situations
• Good communication skills
• Ability to work with people
• Functions and communicates effectively and respectfully within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities and cultural backgrounds
• Must successfully complete a background check
• Strong typographic, layout and illustration skills
• Framing your design with your own original style
• Ability to complete projects quickly (when necessary)
• Be able to apply your knowledge of design in an efficient manner
Application Instructions: https://www.pdx.edu/recreation/sites/g/files/znldhr2076/files/2021-09/Graphic%20Designer_Position%20Description_9.23.21_Accessible.pdf
1. Complete our Campus Rec Application, a resume, and a one-page cover letter describing your interest in the position and any related experience. Please
submit proof of successful completion of sophomore portfolio review with your application materials.
• Visit the University Career Center’s Writing a Cover Letter webpage for tips on how to write your cover letter
• Visit the University Career Center’s Writing a Resume webpage for tips on how to create a resume.
2. Email application, resume, and cover letter (and any supplemental materials) as PDFs to the Campus Rec Jobs email at email@example.com with the subject line
stating ”Position Name, Last Name.”
3. You will receive a confirmation email that we have received your application within one week.
If you need accommodations in filling out this application, please contact the Campus Rec Administrative Program Assistant by phone at 503-725-2946 or email Chiki Kwong at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Portland State University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Institution and welcomes applications from diverse candidates and candidates who support diversity.
Deadline for Submission: Monday, October 18, 2021 at 8 a.m.