Portland State Graphic Design Center
Job Type: On-campus; Part-time; 10–15 hours/week
Application Open: 12:00AM, June 25, 2018
Application Closed: 11:59PM, July 22, 2018
Application Review & Interviews: July 23 – August 3, 2018
On-boarding & Training: August 6–17, 2018
Start Date: September 2018
If you require any accommodations to participate in the application, interview, or hiring process for this job, please contact the Coordinator of Student Operated Services (firstname.lastname@example.org / 503.725.5652). For more information regarding reasonable accommodations, please refer to Portland State University’s Reasonable Accommodation/Access Policy ( https://www.pdx.edu/ogc/adopted-policies ).
Portland State University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity institution and welcomes applications from diverse candidates and candidates who support diversity.
Founded in 1999, the Portland State Graphic Design Center is a student-run design studio on campus. Our clients range from PSU student organizations, PSU departments, to external clients, such as non-profits, food carts, and restaurants. This position begins in the late summer/early fall of 2018. This position reports to Coordinator of Student Operated Services in Student Activities and Leadership Programs (SALP), and the Graphic Design Center Manager.
The ideal candidate is self-driven, passionate about design, and eager to bring new and fresh ideas to the table. They must be able to work well within a team and have organizational skills to be able to delegate multiple projects. Candidates must have a high level of competence in time management and efficiency, as well as the ability to adhere to deadlines. They must also be willing to become a contributing member of the team in addition to fulfilling duties of the position. Having knowledge and proficiency in tools of modern graphic design (Adobe Creative Suite) and other computer programs is required.
Graphic Design Work – 60%
Client projects range from branding, illustrations, page layout, to photography, videography, and web design. The designer will go through the design and project management pipeline, and must be able to create a quality design for each project. The designer is also expected to manage multiple projects at a time.
In addition, all GDC staff share scheduled office hours (5–6 hours every week per person). Office hours vary from term to term. Designers are expected to do GDC-related work, including design, tabling at events, promotions, and social media, during office hours.
Client Communication – 20%
The main source of communication between the designer and client is through e-mails, therefore the designer must be able respond to e-mails in a timely manner (within 24 hours). The designer is required to meet with the client in-person at least one time for each project.
Participation with Team Members – 20%
As part of the team, there will be weekly/bi-weekly staff meetings to brainstorm ideas, discuss events and plans for the studio, and give feedback on each other’s work. Designers must demonstrate investment in the organization’s future by participating in strategic planning with other GDC staff members. There are opportunities for designers to work collaboratively on client and in-house design projects.
– Cumulative PSU GPA 2.50 or higher for undergraduate students, or 3.0 cumulative PSU GPA for graduate students
– Earn a 2.5 undergraduate GPA, or 3.0 graduate GPA for each term enrolled
– Enrollment in and successful completion of a minimum of 6 undergraduate credits, or 5 graduate credits at least three terms per year
– Expected graduation date of Spring 2019 or beyond
– Have passed the PSU Graphic Design Program’s Sophomore Portfolio Review
– Strong expertise with typography, type setting, and page layout
– Demonstrated attention to detail and organizational skills (ie. for meeting deadlines, coordinating schedules, overseeing multiple projects and team members, facilitating meetings, budget management)
– High standards of professionalism and responsive communication with clients and designers
– Passion for cultivating various design skills and styles in a design team of various backgrounds
– Ability to apply strategic design thinking to the organization development
– Willingness to learn, problem-solve, and take creative leaps
– Interest in developing a culture of learning, commitment, and sense of belonging among the design team
– Experience with Asana or other project management software
BONUS SKILLS AND INTERESTS:
– Animation and Motion Graphics
– Web Design and/or Development
-Familiarity with various social media platforms
Please apply at: https://bit.ly/2xOG6SR