PSU Graphic Design Center
Open until filled
Job status: 10-20 hours/week
Apply By: October 6, 2014
Start Date: October 20, 2014
Compensation: $9.50 per hour
The Graphic Design Center is a student-run design studio on campus. Our clients are typically Portland State University student organizations and departments, but there are opportunities to work for outside clients as well. This position begins in Fall term, and start date is negotiable.
The ideal Graphic Designer candidate is self-driven, passionate about design, and eager to bring new and fresh ideas to the table. They must be familiar with the tools of modern graphic design, including Macintosh computers, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, and other computer programs. Candidates must have a high level of competence in time management and efficiency, as well as the ability to adhere to deadlines. They must also be willing to become a contributing member of the team in addition to fulfilling duties of the position.
Graphic Designing – 80%
Most projects are poster design and branding to be done in a limited time span. The candidate will go through a design process and demonstrate the ability to create a quality design for each project. The designer must also be able to manage multiple projects at a time.
Client Communication – 10%
The main source of communication between the designer and client is through e-mail, and the candidate must be able respond to
e-mails in a timely manner. In some occasions, especially when it comes to a branding job, the candidate must also be able to meet with the client.
Participation with Team Members – 10%
As part of the team, there will be meetings with the whole team to discuss plans for the studio. Candidates must demonstrate investment in the organization’s future by participating in strategic planning with other GDC staff members. They must also report to the GDC manager for updates regarding projects.
• Poster design and branding experience
• Minimum 4 office hours weekly
• Cumulative PSU GPA 2.50 or higher for undergraduate students or 3.0 cumulative PSU GPA for graduate students
• Earn a 2.5 undergraduate GPA or 3.0 graduate GPA for each term enrolled
• Enrollment in and successful completion of a minimum of 6 undergraduate credits or 5 graduate credits per term (except summer)
• Able to work on multiple projects
• Efficient self-managing skills in order to meet deadlines
• Uphold high standards of communication and professionalism with clients and with the GDC manager.
• Self-motivated contributor as a team member
• Maintain flexibility in your schedule to take on projects when assigned
Bonus Skills & Interests (not required)
• Posting on the GDC social media platforms
• Photography skills
Please submit a cover letter, resume, a work sample of 5 projects, and fill an application online via OrgSync: https://orgsync.com/50621/forms/49057. For questions, please contact Annegeline Manalang, Graphic Design Center Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org. Priority review will be given to applications submitted before October 6, 2014 at 5:30pm.