About SMART: SMART (Start Making A Reader Today)® is a nationally recognized, statewide nonprofit organization with a network of volunteers, educators, donors and advocates across Oregon who are banding together to empower children for more successful futures through books and reading.
SMART volunteers read one-on-one with PreK through third-grade students weekly during the school year, providing a fun, child-guided experience with books with a goal of increasing reading engagement and motivation.
Internship: This internship is an opportunity to gain hands-on experience with graphic design in a nonprofit environment and support SMART’s work providing shared reading time and books to over 11,300 kids this year. The intern will work at SMART’s main office with the Communications Department and gain practical experience in the day-to-day activities of a dynamic nonprofit organization. This internship may count for college credit as the university or college allows, and is a paid position for students with Federal Work Study.
– Design collateral materials for both print and digital platforms for a variety of activities, including events, brand/logo development, training and promotional materials, etc.
– Work closely with Communications Department on development of all materials. Take direction on assignments and work collaboratively to develop, edit and refine materials.
– Work remotely with staff members in SMART areas throughout Oregon.
Desired Qualifications and Skills:
Ideal candidate will have:
– Knowledge of the design and production processes, strong communication, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
– Demonstrated design proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite
– Strong writing and proof-reading skills.
– Willing to undergo a background check, sign confidentiality agreement and available to receive required training.
This internship is paid for Federal Work Study students. Hours are flexible; up to 20 hours per week.
Interested applicants should apply through Handshake: https://app.joinhandshake.com/jobs/2131357