We’re hiring a Graphic Design Intern!
Artslandia internships offer undergraduate and/or graduate students the opportunity to gain meaningful learning experiences in the exciting field of magazine publishing.
The graphic design intern will assist our publishing and creative firm with the design and production of Artslandia, Artslandia Kids and Artslandia at the Performance. We are seeking an upbeat, self-starting, enthusiastic team player that thrives in a fast paced environment. This internship will be in-person and will not be able to be completed remotely. You will be provided a desk and ample workspace at the Artslandia office. Having a computer and access to graphic design and layout software is preferred but not required. You will report directly to the Publisher and Senior Designer(s) who will work with you to ensure your learning objectives are met. This internship is unpaid.
As an Artslandia intern, we consider you to be as much a part of the team as any other staff member. The main distinction is this position is solely a learning position. We expect you to ask questions when they arise – about anything! The Publisher / Sr. Designer will conduct weekly check-ins to ensure that you are grasping the required information and learning at a pace that is appropriate to you.
Established in 2006, Artslandia Publishing, formerly known as Playbills NW, exists as both a leading creative firm and publishing house. Artslandia publishes Artslandia, Artslandia at the Performance, Artslandia, Kids and Artslandia Kids at the Performance.
Artslandia’s mission is to connect and expose our readers to all music, dance and theatre our vibrant city has to offer and inspire them to discover thought provoking performances that enliven them to become lifelong patrons of the arts.
Our current client list is comprised of the most well-known and celebrated arts organizations in Portland. We represent music, dance and theatre companies across the metropolitan area as publishing clients and provide the most comprehensive performing arts coverage in the city.
• Creating engaging graphics and design layouts for print and web. This will include logos, feature articles, specialty pages, ads, branded promotional items, and web site and social media as needed.
• Collaborating with the team to support campaigns and design projects with design solutions.
• Other misc. projects as assigned that may not be directly related to graphic design like helping with an event or distribution.
• Applicants must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program in graphic design or related field and you must be able to receive college credit. Related fields include, but are not limited to journalism and communications.
• Strong background in graphic arts.
• Comfort working in Adobe Creative Suite.
• Enthusiasm for the design process.
• Excellent communication and time management skills.
• Meticulous attention to detail.
• Ability to work independently as well as in partnership with a team.
• We strongly prefer candidates who have a deep knowledge of performing arts and the city of Portland.
DETAILS OF INTERNSHIP
Winter Term 2016
Start Date: January/ February 2016
End Date: March / April 2016
Internship Schedule: Typically 2-3 days per week (15 – 20 hours)
Times: Flexible typically between 10:00am – 4:00pm
Compensation: This internship is unpaid and college credits may be earned
Submit a resume, cover letter and a sample of your design work to Internships@artslandia.com