At Caldera, we believe in the power of creativity. Caldera is a catalyst for the
transformation of underserved youth through innovative, year-round art and
environmental programs. Our Youth Program provides Oregon students with long-term
mentoring, beginning in sixth grade and continuing into young adulthood. Caldera weave
the arts, nature, and personal expression into powerful work that allows young people to
be creative change agents in their own lives and communities.
Caldera is an equal opportunity employer, committed to developing an organization that
is reflective of and sensitive to the needs of the diverse community we serve.
OVERVIEW OF POSITION
The Graphic Design Intern will work with Caldera’s Communications Director to meet
Caldera’s graphic design needs. Projects will include design work to support our
development and communications efforts, Artists in Residence Program, and Youth
Program. Design assignments will be a combination of using templates and creating
visuals from scratch. Caldera provides computer and software for this position. Position
will also provide assistance in organizing and cataloguing photos and have the
opportunity to work with Caldera’s design team at Wieden+Kennedy. Photography
experience also desired.
Hours and schedule are flexible and will be determined based on organizational needs
and availability and/or credit requirements of candidate. Minimum of a three months, 15
hours a week required, but we would also love to accommodate an intern for a longer
time frame and more hours. The position is paid a very small stipend and is based at our
Portland office, with opportunities to visit our Arts Center outside of Sisters for various
– Design clear and engaging graphic communications for print and web. This may
include direct mail pieces, branded promotional items, website and social media
graphics, posters, flyers, and other marketing materials as needed.
– Adhere to Caldera’s style guide and work in parallel to Wieden+Kennedy design
– Collaborate in brainstorming concepts for upcoming projects.
– Organize and maintain a database of images to be used as a possible resource
in production materials.
– Provide photography assistance at events, if experienced.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
– Be proficient in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, & Photoshop and/or other common
design and layout applications.
– Proven track record in creating well designed materials demonstrated in a
– Ability to take initiative, to work independently, and to collaborate with staff as
– High level of communication skills and an empathetic and understanding
– Excellent attention to detail and highly motivated.
– Ability to set and meet deadlines, prioritize tasks, and manage time.
– Strong belief in equity, education, arts, and the environment.
– Ability to interact and communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, with staff,
volunteers, and public and a strong sense of professionalism.
– Ability to accurately understand scope of assigned projects, Communications
Department goals and requirements, and budgets through meetings, taking
notes, and asking questions.
– Must display the maturity and flexibility required to work in a casual, informal
SOFTWARE EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
– Solid computer knowledge and experience using Adobe Creative Suite programs
on the Mac.
– InDesign: advanced typesetting skills, page layout, style sheets, master pages,
templates and libraries.
– Photoshop: scanning, working in layers, masking, color correcting, clipping paths
to create photo comps.
– Adobe Acrobat: creating and editing PDF files.
– Ability to prepare all final deliverables, ranging from printed books and brochures
to web specific social media graphics.
– Image database: work with Caldera to organize and maintain a database of
images to be used as a possible resource in production materials.
– Scanning, digital photography, and image manipulation are key skills of this role.
– When necessary, experience in building detailed mechanicals to be handed off to
– Prepare final digital files and proofs to be sent to printer and publications (if
– Maintain consistency in file folder naming conventions.
– Organize and archive files per W+K guidelines.
– Ability to use design resources while using communication to effectively get the
– Accountable for staying within production budgets for time and materials as
provided by the Executive Communications Manager.
– Prioritize workflow effectively.
– Ability to be patient, yet tenacious, with crisis situations and tight deadlines.
– Open communication with team members and manager required for successful
– Exceptional initiative and follow through skills
– Regular attendance, teamwork, dependability and promptness required.
Send resume, cover letter, online portfolio, and one letter of reference to Volunteer
Manager, Olivia Mitchell, at Olivia.Mitchell@CalderaArts.org. Hiring on an ongoing basis
and position open until filled. In your cover letter also include an overview of any credit
requirements you may have and confirm timeframe and hours per week available.