The GDC Manager is responsible for carrying out the mission of the Graphic Design Center and Portland State University by overseeing all aspects of management of the Graphic Design Center. This position reports to the Coordinator of Student- Led Services, and receives support from a Faculty Advisor in the Graphic Design Department.
The manager must be a qualified graphic designer familiar with the tools of modern graphic design, including Macintosh computers, Quark Xpress, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Macromedia Fireworks and Dreamweaver, and other computer programs. The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to proficiently complete design tasks through submission of a portfolio in .pdf or online format.
A major in graphic design is strongly preferred.
The ideal candidate will have broad knowledge base across various aspects of design (signage, web, interactive, other media). The incumbent must demonstrate a self- driven attitude and be willing to devote time toward developing new skills. The position requires patience, strong communication skills, and attention to detail. Candidates must have a high level of competence in time management and efficiency, as well as the ability to adhere to deadlines in a climate of rapidly shifting priorities. Excellent communication and collaboration skills are necessary to supervise and guide a group of approximately 5 independent designers and an assistant manager while building connections with student organizations and departments.
This position will vary from 10- 25 hours per week. Pay rate is $9.55- $10.00 per hour. Work study appreciated but not required.
Specific Duties Include:
- Serving as both a designer completing jobs, and as adviser and manager of any graphic design employees on issues of design and equipment usage.
- Managing business matters, including developing and managing budgeting; project tracking and billing; long-term planning; management of in-house documentation and archiving; coordinating with the Student Fee Committee .
- Marketing and promoting the Graphic Design Center and its services to the university community and others, building a strong relationship between the Graphic Design Center and student organizations and departments, including overseeing online marketing and communication.
- Ensuring communication with Graphic Design department and student organization through holding a permanent position of advisory leadership on the FOGD student group.
Managing all aspects of supervision (selection, training, advising, scheduling) for up to 5 employees.
- Ensuring that at least 10 office hours are held weekly.
Must pass a minimum of 6 undergraduate or 5 graduate credits in Fall, Winter and Spring terms, earning a minimum 2.5 undergraduate or 3.0 graduate GPA.
Submit a letter of interest, a resume and a work sample online here:
For questions, please contact Shannon Timm at 503.725.5652.
Application deadline is Ma 11th, 2012.