We are looking for a full-time Designer to join our small but growing creative team in SE Portland. This person will work closely with the Creative Director to help enforce established design guidelines across both The Wirecutter and The Sweethome (and upcoming sites).
The Designer will work with our editorial staff to conceptualize and develop visual components to support content production—everything from infographics to animated GIFs to marketing collateral. You’ll work with our production team to make sure everything is pixel-perfect. You’ll work with our engineering team to explore new ways of presenting research to readers. You’ll work with our social, marketing, and sales folks to spread the word about how awesome we are. Your fingerprints will be everywhere.
- Design digital and print materials for internal and marketing use
– Work closely with writers and editors to conceptualize new and creative ways to graphically document our review processes
– Perform daily graphical-asset prep for editorial content, photo galleries, email newsletters, social media, syndication, etc.
– Provide visual quality assurance for both Wirecutter and Sweet Home
– Assist with UI design during the upcoming site redesign
– Closely coordinate workflow remotely with our NYC-based photo and video team
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- A history of successful collaboration within other design teams
– An outstanding portfolio of work demonstrating creative problem solving
– A solid understanding of all aspects of design theory (layout, color, typography, etc.)
– A strong sense of craft and the ability to confidently justify your design decisions to stakeholders across the organization
– An ability to give and receive constructive feedback—and to quickly iterate based on feedback
– Strong Photoshop skills and at least a working knowledge of Illustrator
– A love of (or grudging acceptance of) Keynote
– Knowledge of, and preferably experience coding in, HTML and CSS
– An understanding of responsive web design principles
– Excellent organizational skills
– A bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
– A minimum of four years of relevant visual design experience
– …those last two are negotiable for the right person (but please be sure your portfolio reflects that)
ALSO GREAT TO HAVE:
- Illustration chops
– Connections to freelance illustrators, animators, and photographers
– Experience working with WordPress and MailChimp
– Animation, photography, or video-editing skills
– Mobile app design experience
SALARY AND PERKS:
Although we are a small, bootstrapped company, we pride ourselves in offering competitive compensation including health care, 401(k), parental leave, paid time off, and a flexible work schedule. We want to make sure every employee is happy and has the tools, resources, and knowledge to grow with the company.
To apply, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Designer from PSU” in the subject line. Your email should include links to your portfolio—no attachments please—and a very brief statement explaining why we’d be idiots not to hire you.