The becker&mayer! Design Internship program offers a current student a hands-on education in publishing. With this Internship, the candidate will become an active member of the in-house design team, working on a range of projects while gaining a suite of well-rounded professional skills.
becker&mayer! is a leading creator, producer, and manufacturer of innovative books for adults as well as engaging books and toy products for children. A renowned book packager, we create original illustrated books in award-winning formats that integrate paper components, digital content, electronics, audio, and other specialty features for publishers worldwide. For more information about the company, please go to www.beckermayer.com.
START DATE: June 15, 2015
END DATE: September 4, 2015 (dates are flexible)
PAY: $14/hr; credit if applicable
becker&mayer! is a highly collaborative, team-oriented work environment that requires good interpersonal and communication skills, as well as an ability to multi task and take initiative. This internship provides students or recent grads an opportunity to work with and learn from a team of designers in the creation of books from idea conception, design execution and creation of press ready files.
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
• Design book covers and interiors.
• Create clipping paths, color correct and retouch photos.
• Present and discuss designs with fellow designers, and project team members.
• Assist in photo shoots.
• Prepare files for print, including special printing effects.
• Photocopying and laser printing.
• Create physical book mock-ups.
• Strong interest in book design and page layout.
• Strong typographic skills and sense of color.
• Enrollment in an accredited graphic design program.
• Thorough knowledge of Adobe InDesign; good familiarity with Adobe Illustrator, Adobe
Photoshop, and Microsoft Word.
• Strong communication skills, written and verbal
• Interpersonal and collaborative skills.
• Knowledge of offset printing techniques and photography skills are a plus.
To apply, please send a link to your portfolio along with an attached PDF of your resume and a brief cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Please do not submit portfolios via PDF)