Founded in 1944, the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI) is one of the nation’s leading science museums. OMSI offers 219,000 square feet of brain-powered fun through hundreds of interactive exhibits and hands-on demonstrations. OMSI has five exhibit halls, eight science labs, a giant screen OMNIMAX Dome Theater, the most technologically advanced planetarium in the Pacific Northwest, and the USS Blueback submarine, the last fast-attack diesel-powered submarine built by the U.S. Navy. OMSI is located on the east side of the scenic Willamette River in downtown Portland.
Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI) prefers/requires a Graphic Design major with Advertising Minor. Application Deadline: April 5, 2010
Company URL: www.omsi.edu
OMSI, 1945 SE Water Avenue, Portland, OR
SUMMARY OF POSITION: The Graphic Design Intern experiences real-world print-related design, including how to work with vendors, manage files, design within a budget and much more. This position offers the successful candidate the opportunity to gain experience and build their resume and portfolio in the Marketing Department of one of Oregon’s most recognized non-profit institutions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Work with staff to understand how design works within OMSI’s Marketing Department.
• Assist with design and production of printed and marketing materials, including publications, ads, signs, banners, flyers, and brochures.
Qualifications & Requirements:
Majors: Graphic Design with Advertising Minor
• Experience in ALL of the following software programs: Adobe Photoshop CS3 (or newer), Adobe Illustrator CS3 (or newer), Adobe InDesign CS3 (or newer), and Adobe Acrobat.
• Balanced portfolio demonstrating design and computer aptitude, including experience with single- and multi-page layout and photo manipulation.
• Positive attitude.
• Excellent communication, organizational, and file management skills.
Other: (Please indicate if applicants need to possess permanent right to work in the US.)
Duration of Internship: 2 – 3 months
Start Date: Mid-April
Hours per Week: 15 – 20
A Note on Earning Academic Credit for your Internship:
Earning credit is optional when taking a paid internship, but required for all approved unpaid internships unless the employer is a registered nonprofit organization. The availability of academic credit depends on the projects the intern will be working on and the approval of a faculty.
To apply, email resume and cover letter to:
OMSI Volunteer Services
Please also fill out and email the OMSI internship application, which can be downloaded at www.omsi.edu/internships.