Thank you all so much for being a part of Be Honest! We have more than 140 people participating this year…the biggest turnout ever! Also, we rounded up some info about what to expect and what you can do to help out.
Here is a breakdown of how things will go the day of the event:
Eventbrite Invite: Share with your friends/family who are not on facebook!
Schedule & Logistics
12:00pm: Set up Volunteers arrive
2:00pm: Participants Arrive to set up – Tables will be assigned by a lottery system.
4:00pm: All participant tables need to be set up
5:00–9:00pm: Student Showcase
9:00–10:00pm: ALL PARTICIPANTS help with tear down
During the event we will be serving beer and snacks for our guests. We’ll also have a Good Market selling student work and a general information/welcome table for PSUGD.
We will not have access to power supply or wifi, so make sure you’re charged up and prepared if you plan to show any work on your tablet or laptop!
Parking in the Pearl is a pain, so carpool, use public transportation, or have someone give you a ride.
We will be responsible for total clean up of the space, so we would like to have LOTS of volunteers for tear down/clean up. Sign up here!
Each student will have a 3ft wide by 1.5 ft deep area to display their work. It’s not much, so please plan ahead and carefully consider what you want to show. Consider how you can stack items vertically using boxes or other items to elevate work, as well as hang items from the front of your table. Take a look at previous years as to how people displayed work on their tables: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Full table size is 6 ft wide, which means they’re split in two, which means it will be smart to plan with your table partner.
Bring your own materials to decorate your table. Remember to bring tape, binder clips, string, etc. Whatever you think you might need to set up. Try doing a table “dress rehearsal” at home! Many participants also choose to make business cards, buttons or other giveaways for our guests.
Dress Code / Etiquette
- Less formal than an interview, more formal than everyday. Wear something that will make you feel GOOD!
- Wear comfortable shoes! You’ll be standing most of the night…and bring snacks and water too!
During the Event
- Be friendly and kind!
- Be prepared to talk about your work!
- Some past Be Honest students have suggested you bring in process work or sketch books. Ask specific questions about your work to get feedback.
- Everyone should volunteer for a shift if possible.
- Ask your friends who are not participating to volunteer for security/other during the event.
- We will need production volunteers a few days prior to the event.
- We will be responsible for total clean up of the space, so we would like to have LOTS of volunteers for tear down/clean up.
- Sign up here!
Are You Ready Checklist?
- Do you have takeaways? (business cards, post cards, prints, buttons, other super creative things!)
- Is your website up to date?
- Are you prepared to discuss your work/Have specific questions to receive feedback?
At this point you’ve worked really hard so have FUN and meet the great people that make up Portland’s creative community!
Share this event and invite people! Would love to have a super turnout!
Once again, thank you for participating! If you have any questions, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP.
LET’S DO THIS.